How to Wire a Reversing Camera to Reverse Light?
Backup cameras can cause certain problems when a reverse camera is installed on them. According to the best backup camera reviews 2021, when they are installed they can cause certain problems with the wiring of the cars. With advanced technology, newer cars have a light module installed in them which can cause the reverse cameras to cause problems in the reverse lights. To avoid this, the following procedure can be used to wire the reverse camera correctly.
Wiring a Reverse Camera to Reverse Light
One of the main things you will need is a backup camera and the screen with it. Also, to control the light module, you will need to install a relay in the car module:
- The first thing that you will have to do is to remove the backlight. You can access it by removing the backlight cover. Locate the wire which connects directly to the bulb that turns on when you reverse the car.
- The next thing is to remove the bulb from the housing and remove the bulb from the holder and test which wire is positive and which is ground as there are two wires connecting to the holder.
- Use a voltmeter to check which wire provides ground and which wire has a positive current coming through it
- When you have detected your 12V positive current cable, the next thing you have to do is to connect your monitor and the camera with it.
- Now the tricky part is that in some cases the cars that don’t have a light module, you will have to install a relay. A wire relay can help you pass the current through the 12V wire and turn on the reverse light along with the reverse camera.
- In modern cars, there is a camera installed already for reversing therefore you don’t need to install a separate reverse camera as there is already wiring present for that.
In this way, you can install a reverse camera in your car and wire it to the reverse camera to reverse light. If not done correctly there can be certain complications. One of the main reasons is that the light bulb might stop working. In some cases due to mismatched wiring, your camera can become affected too and the video signal might get distorted to the monitor and it can completely short circuit your camera as well.
Most importantly, get the best wireless backup camera for your vehicle. You may discuss the different cameras with professionals. After buying, it is better to hire a professional to do this task because it is a bit complicated and wiring correctly can be difficult. So, if you want to avoid any form of inconvenience or wastage of money you must refer to a professional to have your reverse camera installed and wired correctly with the reverse light. If you are sure that you can wire everything according to the requirement then you can save a lot of money and do the installation yourself as the process will be more convenient for you rather than going to a mechanic.